Industrial Iconography

Bernd and Hilla Becher first collaborated on photographing and documenting the disappearing German industrial architecture in 1959, and had their first Gallery exhibition in 1963. They were fascinated by the similar shapes in which certain buildings were designed. These images of structures with similar functions were then displayed side by side to invite viewers to compare their forms and designs. These structures included barns, water towers, storage silos, and warehouses.

View the online portfolio here.